Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Avery Ana Gordon

We had our sweet little girl on Monday morning at 8:42 am. She weighed in at 6 lbs 7 oz 19.5 inches long. She's such a tiny little thing.

Harrison loved meeting her, although he doesn't look to thrilled in this picture. The first day he came in he ran over and said hi to her. Later while he was still there Avery started crying and Harrison ran over to my be and said, "Don't cry baby sister, don't cry, it's ok". He is such a cute big brother. Every time she cries he gets this worried look on his face and runs up to her and tells her not to cry it's ok. Before he left the hospital he gave her a kiss and said, "I love you baby sister." Oh it just melts my heart. I can't believe how much I love them both.

This picture was taken a few minutes after she was born. She was so awake and just taking it all in.
Poor little thing had a bit of a cone head, but it was nothing compared to Harrison's huge melon head. She also had a bruise on her tongue. Weird huh?
My contractions started Monday morning at 1:30 am. They woke me up and I had been having irregular contractions for a few days so I didn't think they'd be close enough together to go in. By 2:30 Nick was ready to go, but I kept saying no let's just wait and make sure this is for real. I didn't want them to send me home. We called my parents to come and stay with Harrison. My contractions were every 4-5 min, but they weren't too bad yet. They rushed over, and by the time they got there I was really feeling it. Nick drove quickly to the hospital, which I am grateful for. By the time I got there I was crying and hurting a lot. They checked me and I was 6cm dilated. I NEVER had intended to feel any of what I was feeling. I am a fan of the pain meds, and they told me that we may not have time to get an epidural in. Nick and I both panicked (I was already freaking out anyway). Nick was like no way you HAVE to give her the epidural. We had probably 4 nurses scrambling around our room starting IVs, filling out paper work, calming me down. Finally I had enough fluid on board to get my epidural. Thank you, thank you, thank you anesthesiologist guy, I don't remember your name because I was too busy crying in pain. Good work. Once he got that in I felt much better and was able to rest a little and everyone was able to calm down. Poor Nick, I think it was hard for him to see me like that (usually I am so tough ha ha ha!). He was such a trooper and good coach. I don't know what I would have done without him. I am so lucky to be married to such a good man. By 8:20 I was fully dilated and the doctor came in and broke my water. I pushed for 20 minutes and she was born. She was posterior so her head was facing up instead of toward my back, which is why she had a little bit of a cone head. They said if she'd been facing the right way I would have probably had her 2 hrs earlier. I am so grateful that everything went smoothly. She is truly a sweetheart and a great eater. I know this sounds silly but I wondered through this whole pregnancy how I would be able to love both kids. Nick just kept telling me not to worry, "love doesn't divide it multiplies," he'd say. I know what he means now. I love you so much Nick! I am so happy there are no words.

Sorry this was a long post, but I don't want to forget what happened. My pictures are all out of order and my grammar and spelling are probably horrible, but I am tired...I get a free pass. We are home now and getting settled. It's nice to be home in your own bed and your own space. We are so happy and grateful to Heavenly Father for sending us this sweet little princess.

9 comments:

hollyjared said...

Congratulations!! She is sooo cute! Good luck with everything if you need anything let me know. It gets crazy with 2 for the first little bit but it is sooo much fun!

Jill said...

she is so pretty! i can't wait to have a girl. i love how sweet your little boy is with her. totally different of what nolan was like with his little brother. girls just have a soft spot in everyone.
i hope you can find some time to get rest. it is so hard with two to find sleep. what a beautiful growing family you have.

Anonymous said...

Emily she is so beautiful. What a cute little family you have. Im so glad everything went well. I hope you enjoy your time off with those cute little kiddos.

Nicole said...

Congrats, Em! I'm so happy for you. She is darling. *

Holly said...

She is just a doll! I think I already want to eat her up! Reading I was so nervous you weren't going to get your drugs in time! Thank goodness. It's so great with two, it's hard to understand but you love them both so much but in very different ways! Congratulations! They grow so fast.

Silvia said...

Great birthing story, Emily! Sounds like everything went fast and she's so cute!

Valery said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Valery said...

She's darling Emily! Congratulations!!

heidi said...

Emily she is beautiful and I LOVE her name!!!! Congrats to you all she will be so much fun to have her in your family!

ps
love the headbands!